Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Chair of Perfection


I know by now you have seen all those lucky girls who got that $500 gift card from BlogHer and JCPenney to review the new Linden Street line. Don't you just hate them? Well, get ready to hate me too. I was all about myself knowing that I got to be a part of a $500 anything, much less a furniture line from the store where I purchased one of my favorite items. I couldn't wait to scan the new website and I just knew the right piece would speak to me as I quickly clicked through the items. They had glorious lamps like that birdie lamp that's on sale for $49.



They even sell ring clips--7 for $7. But, I wasn't looking for ring clips. I was looking for love.

And love I found.

When my eyes ran across a timelessly classic houndstooth fabric on a perfectly proportioned wing back club chair, I knew I had found my perfect match. Then I saw the price. This girl does not pay $899 for a chair, even with a $500 gift card. So I did what any self respecting chair loving woman would do in my desperate position. I wrote a compelling letter to Penneys using my unparalleled grammatical skills begging them to find it in their hearts to somehow make it possible for me to have this fine, fine specimen. Jenny from BlogHer told me not to expect to hear anything from JCP corporate but man was she ever wrong!

Not only did they mark down the chair I wanted, I guess they liked my letter so much that they decided to put most of the Linden Street line on sale! Words can be so powerful and all. So, I was able to purchase my beloved chair for $499. With taxes and shipping this chair is the least expensive upholstered piece I've ever purchased new, thanks to the gift card, and it was worth every penney. The shipping took forever to an impatient person like myself at 23 days--I was told it would take up to 14 days and notified that my order didn't actually go though until three days after I ordered it due to an incorrect address listed with my bank but, that's another post.

Finally, the chair was delivered. I was disappointed that the color and contrast in the fabric wasn't more true to the photo on the website but, with a great pattern and neutral color I could still work it in just about anywhere.


Here she is sporting a toile pillow next to a sofa table. I'm loving those nail heads.



I could use it here as well, I love the houndstooth mixed with toile. I think every home could use a dash of houndstooth and a splash of toile, don't you?


This chair made herself at home in my bedroom too.



Of course, the keeping room bothered me to no end begging to meet the new chair. I wasn't crazy about it with the current rug, it makes the chair look pink.

This rug is a better fit for it. Especially when vacuumed.


After spending the morning moving this sweet little number all over the first floor of our home, it is now resting in the master bedroom. My husband will be very pleased. He loves a comfy chair in the bedroom. And that large, manly houndstooth print really mixes nicely with my girly toile.

All in all, I am happy with the club chair and could easily use three additional chairs just like it in other places in our house. So I hope Penneys is reading this and my magical word power will result in three additional chairs. I think this chair was the most adorable item in the Linden Street line. As far as the price, the sale price seems fair but I do not think this small scaled chair is worth the original $900 price tag.

Also, if you want to buy something from the Linden Street line that is upholstered and heavy, I suggest you actually step foot in the store to see all the fabric in the flesh. And I think you can have it delivered to the store and pick it up there and save some money on shipping. Happy shopping! Yippie!

50 comments:

Karen said...

I LOVE it! I want one too! I am in desperate need of furniture for my old living room. That looks so nice in your room!

Kimba said...

Well look at you Miss Fancypants! Or should I say Miss Fancychair?

Veeeeeeeery cool!

...Laura... said...

Good on you for contacting them! I love Penney's! I used to work for them, so I know all kinds of ways to get around things and use their sales to the best of my abilities. They're one of the few stores out there that still mostly have old school generosity left to their system.

Great find, and I'm totally jealous of the gift card!

...Laura... said...

p.s...

THAT LAMP!!! Oh how I want that lamp!

Unknown said...

I have been LOVING houndstooth a lot lately!

vVery cute!

Gretchen said...

TRYING to not be jealous!

It's beautiful ... and versatile!

Lorie said...

So so cute!!!

Darlene said...

What a beautiful chair and it looks great wherever you end up moving it around in your home.

Elaine said...

OMG!! My parents had two of those big brown and white houndstooth chairs (FROM JCPenneys) in our house when we were growing up! The neighbor lady across the street (who bought her ritzy furniture all throughout the world) spotted these babies and proceeded to COPY them for a little vignette in her own home. How funny that when we visited their house, I always felt so at home...LOL Her daughter was also my best friend as we grew up. (except best friend went to private school, and we went to public school)...

ROXY said...

LOVE THE CHAIR:)

Melissa Stover said...

i hate you. my words never have that kind of power.

Blogger said...

She's a beauty, congratulations!!!

Bella :)

Amy said...

Oh my goodness...houndstooth always reminds me of my wedding day. Back in 1992, my husband had a houndstooth bowtie and cummerbund with his tux! He was stylin!:) He was about 130 pounds dripping wet and he looked like he was in 10th grade even though we were 22. Good times!

The Four of Us said...

OK, WHY has no one asked you what it was that you actually SAID to them to get them to lower the price and put the whole line on sale? Or am I the only gullible furniture buying i.d.i.o.t.?

~The Roost'er

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

I'm apparently a blogging i.d.i.o.t., too, since I commented under my daughter's ID. At least I noted who I was!
~The Roost'er

Kristen said...

I'm all for writing a letter or making a phone call - otherwise you can't complain about a thing! Always try at least once I say. Love that chair, love that you got it on sale. It's a classic.

emily freeman said...

Am I allowed to say I bought that bird lamp at TJ Maxx? And it wasn't $49? Am I allowed to say that here? Delete me if you need to. Have I mentioned I love the chair?

The Birds Nest said...

I would do many, many things for this chair. I am so in love with it that I can't stand it. I think I would get it in black, though. I have a chocolate and cream houndstooth rug in my master bedroom. Love it too.

Ame... said...

I love it! I am a huge fan of houndstooth and should try to add it in a room too! That is very exciting that you had a gift card for it...it makes it all the more enjoyable when you get a good deal:)

Chris said...

Oh my lord. I LOVE houndstooth. This chair is simply stunning. However, it seems waaaay off from the picture. Good thing it's still gorgeous, though!! I just love it.

Amber said...

You go girl! Way to use your convincing power of persuasion to get your chair! What satisfaction that must have produced. It would have for me! :)

I'm a little appalled at how different the color looks in website picture compared to the actual chair! But, I'm glad you were still able to find a great spot (or several) for your newest addition.

Jennifer P. said...

Well JCP should hire you because I am seriously taking a trip over there tomorrow to find this chair! If it can dazzle me in person, I'll use the last of my stimulust check to bring it home!

Kitty Scraps said...

That is one good looking chair! Lucky girl, could totally hate you if you were not the sweetie you are!

Jaelou said...

Doesn't Betsy also have brown houndstooth chairs?

It is pretty much the ultimate cool upholstered furniture item, huh?

The Nester said...

Y'all.

I'm flattered that you think my retarded, idiotic letter was actually what caused this sale. I was trying to make fun of myself and it was obviously so clear from my unparalled grammatical and spelling skills.

I did write them a letter. Two weeks later everything did go on sale. Hmm, maybe I did cause that sale.

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

No way! You got that beautiful chair for free?!

I love that you actually wrote them a letter about it.

I like the lamp, too. Looks like I need to check this line out. It's the first I'm hearing about it! -Julia

Beth Cotell said...

That chair is gorgeous! It looks perfect everywhere you put it!

Lauren and Justin said...

i need this chair. seriously. NEED it. actually, I'm looking for a houndstooth rug... know where I might find one?

Carry Grace said...

I love the chair!~ Wow!`

Lettie said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!
I'm so jealous...

paperjunk-lc said...

WAY TO GO NESTER!!!I love it when good things happen!!!
JCP is very smart with this blogher thing. A lot cheaper than running a commercial too.

Meghan said...

That chair is too cha cha for words!
Love it.
Think I will hit Penneys up this weekend.
Woo.

Ms.Mare said...

Hey there ,
I just saw the ragamuffin swags on preppy mamas page .
I love them , Can you please give me a clue on how to make them !

Thanks

Ms. Tee said...

What a beautiful chair!

Congratulations!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Yes, we are all jealous of you girls who got giftcards. Wonder how many they gave out?? That's a gorgeous chair, I can see why you fell in love with it. Glad they lowered the price, that's the best part!

Now where's my giftcard??

Rhoda

Ashley said...

As an Alabama girl, it is hard to resist houndstooth! You're a lucky girl! Congrats on your shopping spree and glorious haggling abilities!

Gina said...

You were in my computer "favorites" but since I'm checkin' you out about daily, think I'll link to your site--love your writings and your creativity!! Could you help me with how much (even percentage-wise) I should allot to decorating? I'm too far in the "only spend on necessities" and am missing out on a lot of fun. I need balance.

Darla said...

Holy cow that's a HUGE sale. I've purchased furniture from JCP before and I've been extremely happy.

Miss you!

Cindy said...

I got to do the $500 Linden Street Review too! I really wanted the slipcovered sofa and if I could have afforded to add another $400 I would have bought it!!! I love your chair!

Aubrey said...

I never realized good ole' Penney's had such good furnitures--maybe there are other choices beside stinky RCWilley. My husband doesn't know it yet, but I am going to the mall tonight.

Cheri said...

I saw a chair just like the original picture at our military store when we lived in Italy. I looked at it every single time I was at the store, loving not only the chair, but the person I would be if I had such a chair in my home. My husband did not agree. And it would match absolutely nothing else in our home. So, at the store stayed the chair. *sigh*

J'Ollie Primitives said...

I will trade you 428 barn stars for that chair.

Or my Precious Child.

You pick.

Anonymous said...

That is one sweet chair...lucky girl!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Cute, cute, CUTE chair, Nester! This is my first time posting with you, but I love your blog. Thanks for the tip on this Jacque Pennet line. I saw a shower curtain that is calling my name.

I'm an absolute nut over houndstooth. Have been packing a bolt of cream and taupe houndstooth fabric for some time now and plan to have some slipcovers made for a pair of loveseats my mother gave us when we got married (back when the dinosaurs roamed the earth). I can't mistreat them because I would have to do it by hand (my machine was mistreated by a friend and hasn't recuperated), but I found someone who does a great job for a great price.

Reading your blog makes my day. Thanks for sharing with us!

Kaye said...

I had to laugh at this post. My sister has a chair exactly like the one at the post intro (the black & white one). She loves it; I think it is hideous. All of this is for less-than-fashionable reason.

You see, she is a graduate and huge fan of the University of Alabama. I am a graduate and huge fan of their rival, Auburn University. Football is king in the state of Alabama, where I grew up. Alabama's most famous football coach was Bear Bryant...renowned for his houndstooth hat. Alabama fans are still living the legend that was 30 years ago (when he was there). For that reason she loves her chair and has put it in their collegiate-decorated office. For the same reason, it makes me almost gag.

Sad that college football can be so very influential, isn't it? I think ashley, who commented above, could understand. =)

Fruitful Vine Lady said...

Hi Nester,
I'm lovin' that chair. I even stopped by JCP today to see if I could see one up close and in person. I hope I haven't crossed too far over the line of obsession.
When you get a sec, could you email me at basketsrme at aol dot com? I have a question for you, and don't know how else to contact you. Thanks!
Blessings,
Tonya

Tracey said...

Big time score girlfriend!

And here I was all excited that SheSpeaks is sending me some free nail polish and Virginia Tech is sending me a digital scale and a pedometer...

Gina Conroy said...

I just found your blog and not a moment too soon! I'm packing up house to move into a fixer upper twice as large as what we're currently in. You've given me a lot of great ideas, though I could really use a free chair or two myself and an interior decorator to come to my new home!

Theresa said...

Wow, what a great buy!

Amit Parashar said...

nice article and you will here - furniture store in Jaipur